Out of the darkness, a Hero shines.
Blackwatch is a teen summer camp designed specifically for more mature teens (ages 15-19) who want to experience a higher level of roleplaying, problem-solving, and intense adventure. Please note that this camp involves more mature topics and more immersive (even frightening) scenarios.
The Blackwatch is a collaboration of diverse heroes from a world that blends fantasy, horror, Steampunk, and science fiction. The goal of the Blackwatch is to protect the realm called Sidleterra from things beyond our reality. So gather your finest foam weapons and read up on your arcane knowledge, for only through darkness will a hero shine.
Members of the Blackwatch are often known for their mental resilience, as they are expected to confront everything from horrible mind-rending entities from other dimensions to ghosts of elder beings and their servants, and all of it requires considerable willpower to endure and challenge. Summer Camp participants are ages 15-19 (13-19 for monthly adventures) and are individuals who are drawn to great storytelling and in-depth fantasy roleplay. Costuming and character sheets help you determine how to become your own hero. You can expect to encounter darker themes and challenges for which there is no clear right or wrong, good or bad solution.
Where knowledge is as good as a sword
Just like Wizards & Warriors and Zombie Summer Camp, Blackwatch Summer Camp exposes teen heroes to a learning environment that plays to their passions. Educational elements of this camp include:
- Lateral thinking – Many of the puzzles in Blackwatch require players to question preconceptions and look at problems in a different light, employing lateral thinking in addition to traditional problem solving.
- Social development – Heroes spend a portion of every day at camp in unstructured interaction and role-play. Blackwatch provides an opportunity to practice creative role play interaction in a safe and supportive environment.
- Group communication – Discussion and decisions about what actions the group should take are central to the event, and feature prominently in every session. Learning to interact appropriately and efficiently in this way is essential to shaping both the course of the game itself and the world it takes place in.
- Ethical reasoning – Blackwatch takes place in a grittier, less clear-cut world than some classic heroic tales. Is it permissible to imprison someone without trial if the evidence is too dangerous to release? Is it justifiable to aid a malevolent being in order to stand against a greater evil? Blackwatch delves into these questions in a way that challenges teens to come to grips with what they believe and why.
- Real literaure, history, and mythology – Heroes will also encounter characters and scenes pulled straight from sources that they might not otherwise be exposed to until college. Much of the style of Blackwatch Summer Camp can be traced to sources that include “At the Mountains of Maddness” by H.P. Lovecraft, “The Telltale Heart” by Edgar Allen Poe, and “Through the Looking Glass” by Lewis Carol.
If you are interested in more information about Blackwatch Teen Summer Camp, please call us at (781) 270-4800 or submit the form below. If you are local, you may also wish to attend a monthly Blackwatch Adventure held at our facility in Burlington, MA.