Guard Up, Inc. is a Burlington, MA company that offers story-based educational adventures for kids, teens, and adults as well as providing classes in swordsmanship instruction and other unique and creative subjects. Our educational summer camps attract customers from around the globe.
It is very important to us that any addition to our growing company and team understands our culture and our vision. Our instructors are individuals who are highly creative while having strong organization and communication skills. Everyone has a passion for inspiring children to learn. Although we are a for-profit company, we act more like a nonprofit in that we offer a large number of scholarships to families experiencing financial hardship as well as providing free services for local, under-served communities.
Our vision is vital to us. Our staff are all called “Guardians”. We are hero-makers. Our company, customer, and co-worker motto is “Courage, Honor, and Compassion”. We live to inspire our patrons. We work in a castle. We hold weekly staff development meetings where we cover topics such as how to listen with sensitivity, how to recognize and counter shame, how to handle stress, how to communicate topics that are emotionally loaded, and other important life skills essential to a productive and happy team. We are more like a family than most companies. And we are deeply protective of this emotionally safe environment where our staff work hard to do what’s best for the company, our customers, and themselves.
As a for-profit company, our bottom line matters. It’s what makes our service possible. At the same time, we are keenly aware that it’s our Guardians who make our vision possible. So we re-invest into our employees and we are patient when hiring in order to be sure we have a good fit. We do what we can to hold onto our hero-makers. Because you can’t train passion.
The best candidate for Director of Operations would be an executive with a strong sense of numbers, business, and people – especially people with big hearts. We are looking for an individual who has exceptional communication skills for sensitive topics, is able to understand the creative mind, and who owns the vision of making a difference in the lives of our customers through story-based education.
Please read through the position requirements carefully. Our company is growing at a significant rate and we need a solid executive leader who has a strong business skill set with measurable results to support their resume.
The following websites explain our services:
We look forward to hearing from you.
Director of Operations
The Director of Operations is the primary person running the business day-to-day, operationally and financially. The role is responsible for ensuring the tactical management of the operations of the company, taking the leadership role in implementing strategic initiatives, coordinating activities and responses to opportunities and issues, and allowing the CEO to focus on corporate strategy, sales and expansion opportunities. This position requires an individual who has hands-on P&L experience with family-oriented service-based businesses or non-profits over $2 million in annual revenue, is self-motivated, financially-savvy, creative, compassionate, and has the vision and leadership characteristics necessary to ensure that the company maintains the proper operational and financial controls, administrative and reporting procedures, technology and people systems in place to effectively grow the organization and ensure continued financial performance.
You do not need to know how to wield a sword or shoot a NERF blaster, but we can teach you. Because all kinds of skills are needed for battling zombies, werewolves, and the like. After all, we work in a castle and we inspire young heroes. So if you feel the call to save the human race from certain doom, we’re your company.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with CEO and the other functional heads to establish the strategic plan for the business, annual operating objectives, organizational policies, and procedures for attaining business objectives.
- Establish priorities for each department, create forward-looking operational plans to address department-specific priorities, and create and monitor metrics that measure performance
- Lead, coach and mentor a diverse team of creative educational professionals. Responsibilities include higher level position interviewing, hiring/firing, training, and performance reviews
- Develop and manage strong financial and operational reporting metrics and processes
- Leadership and facilitation of the company’s regular executive committee meetings and operational reviews.
- Support selling and customer service efforts directly and by example.
- Support service activities, directly and by providing strong integration leadership.
Financial Control and Reporting
- Working with the CEO to establish aggressive but achievable growth and expansion targets and developing and evaluating strategies to meet/exceed the targets, including securing potential investment capital
- Oversee the company’s financial operations and reporting to ensure stability and growth, further define operating drivers of the company’s key financial metrics, set appropriate targets, and then drive departments to exceed those goals
- Oversee cash management activities, and remain fully apprised of balance sheet actions and decisions
- Provide expert advice for, oversee development of, and execute company financial strategic plan
- Develop company financial metrics and track and evaluate the company’s performance and determine progress under the company’s strategic plan
- Oversee the issuance of internal and external financial information; respond to investor requests for information and analysis
- Report financial results to the CEO
- Establish and manage key financing relationships for the company, as directed by the CEO
Supply Chain Expertise
- Improve operational efficiency and effectiveness by assessing, upgrading or installing new operational systems, processes, and methodologies.
- Establish and manage the company’s overall sourcing strategy, combining internal and vendor-based approaches.
- Instill and measure a strong sense of cost savings and efficiency within the vendor and supply chain network.
- Manage and grow a market-leading customer service culture, providing feedback and annual measurement of our results.
- Support the company’s sales efforts, both prospectively and through measured retention of existing clients.
- Within the construct of high customer satisfaction, reduce costs to serve and integrate new, technology-enabled processes where possible.
Human Resources | Compensation
- Proactively manage our human resources and organization to provide competitive compensation and opportunities for our employees.
- Manage the company’s benefits package to be an important, but cost-effective, component of compensation.
- Communicate compensation, benefits and employment value to employees on a regular basis.
- Manage recruiting efforts, and attract strong talent for open positions.
- Leadership experience within the services marketplaces.
- 5 years experience for an operation greater than $2 million.
- Strong financial and analytic skills, developed as part of general management experience or through direct finance experience.
- Proven ability to grow organizations, internally and through successful service-based activities.
- Experience leading organizations with over 50 employees.
- Demonstrated broad leadership experience across a range of the critical operational components: Finance, educational services, customer service and supply chain management.
- Demonstrated success in leading companies to achieve their business plans.
- Proven process improvement experience, from ideation through documented results.
- Team oriented leader with a proven ability to build an organization, coach and mentor staff in a compassionate and realistic manner, and instill strong communications skills.
- Balanced combination of strategic thinking and action orientation.
- Strong interpersonal skills; excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent and complementary relationship with CEO.
- Experience with overseeing multiple locations.
- Bachelor’s degree.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced degree in business
- Experience in the education industry
- Prior experience as Director of Operations and Finance of a growing company
Please fill out the form below to submit your application: