Written by our founder, Meghan Gardner
Why do you do what you do?
If you don’t stop and ask yourself why you do the work you do, at least once in awhile, then you might never know if your work makes you truly happy.
I try to ask myself this regularly so that I don’t lose sight of what matters most in my life. And what matters most to me is that I make a difference in the lives of others – to help people either grow from an experience or suffer less (interestingly enough, the former often causes the latter).
To help you dig into this idea about what matters the most to you, I’ve created a list of 6 questions to ask yourself…
2. Who receives the most benefit from what you do? (Who is the end consumer of what you create or the service you provide)
3. How does your work make a difference in the big picture? (You may feel like you are just a “cog in the machine”, but that may be a very important machine)
4. Do you feel like you are getting better at what you are doing? (Do you have a sense of progress and personal growth?)
5. Are you empowered to make changes or test new ideas? (This can include having a voice in decision making all the way to introducing new products, services, or even policies)
6. Do you feel like you are surrounded by like-minded people? (Are you all working towards the same objective or does it feel disjointed?)
As you answer these questions, try to not make your answers “yes” or “no”… give your thoughts more words. If that’s a challenge, then try adding “why” and “how” follow ups to each of your answers.
These questions have helped guide our company into its mission of inspiring life-long learners who want to make a difference in the world. The reason for this is rather simple: We enjoy working with life-long learners and we figure that the best way to make a difference in the lives of others is to help others see the obvious reward that comes from making a difference… so that the lives we touch reach out and in turn, touch the lives of others.
If you or someone you know is interested in being a part of our mission and our company, please take a moment to read through our current job openings – we are growing and looking for another full time Manager, a full time Party/Event Coordinator, a summer camp Nurse, and part time instructors. If you have experience with kids, we’d like to talk to you! If you know someone who has experience working with kids and teens – please pass this email on to them. Our best applicants come from personal referrals. This is because you know how passionate we are about what we do… and we want people who also hold that passion.
If you are interested in any of these positions, click on the links to the jobs above and fill out the applications for the respective positions. We look forward to talking with you!