Before you consider applying for a position at Guard Up, you should consider reading the book “Good to Great” by Jim Collins. This book will give you an accurate picture of the working environment at Guard Up. We are very appreciative of our employees, but we do not “motivate” them. They come with their own internal motivation. We are a diverse community with people from a variety of lifestyles, ethnicities, religions and abilities. And we are protective of this diversity.
Please do not apply if you think this may be a “cool thing to try out.” We want people who are interested in a future with our company. We are looking for long-term employees who are proactive, flexible, can see opportunity, and are interested in a career. If you feel that this type of environment is one in which you can thrive, then consider our job openings. We look forward to talking with you.
Guard Up, Inc is the largest swordsmanship facility in North America and runs exciting and educational summer camps and year round live action adventures where kids are heroes in an ongoing story with monsters, magic and learning. Our educational programs have received attention from a variety of academic institutions including Harvard Graduate School of Education, Yale, Northeastern University, MIT, and more. Our staff are life-long learners who love working with kids, helping parents and adults achieve their goals, and dressing up in costumes and playing monsters. We also happen to work in a castle.
Guard Up is recruiting to fill a year round, full time Manager and Overnight Camp Director job opening. This position requires a career and goal oriented, self motivated individual that is creative, reliable, growth-oriented, and confident with making decisions and adapting to a unique, fast paced and constantly changing environment… and know how to look imposing with a foam sword (no sword experience necessary). Note that you must be able to live onsite day and night and work 6 days a week during 7.5 weeks of overnight summer camp.
Acting to further the development and mission of Guard Up, Inc., Wizards & Warriors Camp and Zombie Summer Camp through the development and management of programs, human resources, financial, marketing, and strategic operations. Must work with the administrative team to market, organize, grow, and maintain membership and camp programs.
Summary of Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
• Experience managing a team of five people or more, including overseeing and auditing of the distribution and delegation of tasks and responsibilities
• Collecting the stories of our customers and potential customers and matching them with our services while meeting their individual needs
• Scheduling, answering phones and responding to emails on a daily basis
• Proficient at categorizing and prioritizing issues and concerns
• Experienced with Project Management involving task, team, and deadline management
• Capable of risk taking and problem solving to maintain the integrity of the daily milieu
• Facilitating classes, camp programs, and staff training
• Provide operational and logistical support to the Company Director
• Manage staff including training, correcting, reprimanding as well as interviewing, hiring and firing
• Maintain camp and facilities
• Design, deliver, and evaluate camp programs that meet the needs and interests of the camps target populations and ensure their delivery in a safe and quality manner.
• Work with other Camp Directors and Marketing in generating camper accessible content for websites, and social media.
• File necessary documentation and work alongside governing agencies to pass inspections and receive licenses and permits.
• Lead administrative team in maintaining database information regarding inventory, paperwork, and accurate records for staff, customers, and vendors
• Attend and pass annual CPR and First Aid certification
• Become certified as a CPR and First Aid instructor (course provided) and certify staff
• Manage camp related vendors for transportation, food, and other services necessary for a successful camp
• Adhere to regularly scheduled hours both onsite and offsite
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
*Love working around kids and parents
*Have a high tolerance for managing youth behavior
*Background as a camp director, or residential educator/counselor
*Experience working with parents in addressing their concerns regarding their children
*Experience managing staff including hiring, training, retaining, and if necessary firing.
*Strong proficiency with windows based operating systems, spreadsheets, and experience using Client Relations Management Software.
*A positive, healthy, upbeat personality oriented towards personal growth with a strong desire to be around those interested in the same.
*As comfortable in a business suit and executive meetings as you are in a medieval castle or dragons lair.
* Commitment to honesty and transparency in all communication, and the ability to take accountability and communicate mistakes.
* Strong sense of ownership
* Reliable Transportation (we are not located near mass transit)
* Clean background check, CORI and SORI checks
* Previous experience with kids
* Evening and Weekend Hours required
* Must have previous camp or after school or recreation program management experience
* Must be able to live onsite and work 6 days a week during 7.5 weeks of overnight summer camp
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary dependent upon experience and qualifications with upwards mobility within a growing company.
After minimum employment requirements are met:
* Matching 401k
* Paid time off
* Free camp enrollment for children of full time employees
* Health insurance
* Opportunity for Annual Pay Raise and bonuses
Note: If you are remote from our location, we do require an onsite interview in the final rounds of the interview process. Candidates are responsible for their own transportation to and from Burlington, MA.
Apply here for Manager / Overnight Camp Director Job Opening: